• Just 10 seconds of idling uses
more gasoline than restarting your car.
• Idling harms your engine and exhaust
system. It only takes 30 seconds to warm up your car and start driving
on freezing days.
• Children are especially vulnerable
to air pollution. They breathe faster than adults, inhale more air per
pound of body weight, and stand at tailpipe level.
• You are not safe from air pollution
inside an idling vehicle. Exposure to some pollutants is actually higher
inside an idling vehicle than at the roadside.
• Idling hurts our air quality and
environment. Car tailpipes emit carcinogens and other toxins, smog-forming
chemicals, and green house gases into our air.
• In most cases, New Jersey state
law prohibits idling for more than 3 minutes. (N.J.A.C.7:27-14, 15 AND
COMPLIMENTS OF THE LEAGUE OF WOMEN
VOTERS OF GLEN ROCK AND RIDGEWOOD